Water Protection & Home Insurance
Feel confident in the face of flooding
Why You Need Water Protection
Weather pattern changes are affecting countries, including Canada, worldwide. Over the past 60 years, average temperatures have increased by 1.3°C, and average rainfall has increased by 12%. And it’s not just overflow from rivers and lakes – damage from storms, spring thaw and other freshwater flooding is occurring everywhere.
Did you know that Canada now has 20 times the storms and floods that we had just two decades ago? Major floods now represent almost 40% of all recorded natural disasters in this country.
Consider the following statistics:
- Canada has an average of 20 more rain days a year than in the 1950s.
- Severe weather events that used to happen every 40 years can now be expected to happen every six years.
How Water Protection Works with Your Home Insurance Coverage
Acumen Insurance represents several insurers that offer enhanced water protection against damage caused by storm activity and flooding, eaves, downspouts, drains and sewer backup.
If you qualify for this coverage, we will not distinguish between whether the damage was caused by sewer backup or flooding from eaves, downspouts, or drains. You have the confidence of knowing you’re covered.
What Is the Difference Between Sewer Back up, Overland Water and Surface Water?
- Base Policy Water Coverage: Protection for loss or damage resulting from events such as burst water pipes.
- Sewer back up: Covers losses or damage incurred from sewer back-up, or water that has escaped from sewers or drains. These damages are expensive to repair and can cause health issues if they’re neglected or poorly repaired. A sewer back up typically comes from toilets, drains, sinks.
- Overland water: Covers losses from the overflow of lake, large rainfall, melting snow, and rising rivers. Your policy makes you eligible for coverage against any rising water over dry land. This includes any overflow from a body of water.
- Surface Water: Covers loss or damage related to water entering a property from the sudden accumulation of water from heavy rain, spring run-off, overflow from lakes and rivers.
At Acumen Insurance our brokers use their professional knowledge and experience to help you properly assess your insurance needs, shop for the best value in insurance coverage and help you in the event of a claim.